Wednesday 10 October 2007

I drive truck, break arms, and arm wrestle. It's what I love to do, it's what I do best.

Over the Top: 1987, Stallone.

Lincoln Hawk (Stallone) is making his way to Vegas to compete in the arm wrestling world champion and he ends up taking his estranged son who's mum's died or something like that. Anyway, this kid's a right stuck up little tosser that's been in military school or something and of course Stallone lives on the road in his truck and is a bit of a greaser. They hate each other and have nothing in common but they eventually bond and even learn something about themselves along the way.

Fucking fantastic film and way better than The Wizard, which is a bit rubbish these days. Definitely best film ever made about Arm Wrestling.

Plus it's got everything that makes a winner, the kid runs off in a wobbler, hating his dad and gets into trouble while he's pissed off. Stallone turns his cap around just before a match and that makes him better. Big fuck-off bad guys called Grizzly and Bull Hurley and other equally shit-inducing names. When Stallone is losing he moves his fingers in a special way and it's like this arm-wrestling secret that makes him win every match. I mean, who didn't try that when they were kids hoping it'd do the same. Even the song is cool; 'Winner takes it all, loser takes a fall, gonna take it over the top!'. Class.

Best quote of the film: My whole body is an engine. This is a fireplug [makes a fist] and I'm gonna light him up.
Cheese Factor: Gorgonzola

Next week, Critters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wierd like my beird, Jimbob'san.
on the subject of cheese fest flicks, me 'n the missus sat 'n watched the classic Van Damme picture, Kickboxer, last night.
One of his finest, I'm sure you'll agree.

Changing topic...the word verification thingie is asking me to type in Jizzijim.
I shit you not.

Jimbeeer said...

Wasn't kickboxer where he gts revenge on his brother getting his head kicked in?

that's one of the only 2 decent Van Damme pics ever made, of course the other is Timecop.