Monday 10 December 2007

Get me a knife and fork and a dictionary

Coz i am, quite literally, about to eat my words.

Getting so damn bored with games at the moment. Not even Call of Duty 4 is impressing me. Haven't played Kane & Lynch for about a week, fell asleep playing Assassin's Creed, UT3 is suffering from the same bugs that used to annoy me about PC gaming but i'd completely forgotton about, stuff like freezing, game suddenly quitting, etc. Even Mario Galaxy is gathering a bit of dust now as there's only so much Mario you can take at any one time.

I was so bored i got Mass Effect and my god, it's actually good. Really good. This has to be the first rpg where i've actually cared about the storyline and characters. I tell a lie, Oblivion was a great storyline but it got a bit tedious spending 2 hours in each Oblivion plane when they essentially looked and worked exactly the same as the last.

I think it's the action more than anything else. You've got the obligatory long conversations but you've also got some great action worthy of any 3rd person shooter. Then you've got hundreds of planets you can actually land on and drive around on the barren surface, even get out and scout around while the atmosphere eats away at your suit, compare this to landing at the only space port on the planet and only run through the corridors the programmers have made for you. It's a hard game, don't get me wrong, it's certainly not as easily explained as Oblivion and some of the interface options could be better, but all in all, I'm actually really enjoying it. And the gfx are superb.

Hate to coin an old cliché but if you loved Oblivion, you'll love Mass Effect.

Just remember it's for over 50 hours of gameplay, so it's not just for Christmas.

No comments: